Sunday, August 08, 2010

Ruby reflection




Psalm 139 
v 13-15





August 8th 1970

August 8th 2010






forty is a long time
    forty days of rain and the world is changed
        forty years of wandering and a nation is refined
            forty days on a mountain establishes the law
                forty days in desert temptation   proves a King

Forty is a long time -
it is not years
but fourteen thousand six hundred and ten
uncounted, unaccounted days.
Unknowing tomorrows;
days on the brink of affection,
days in-between love.

Days when love is a rock,
days when love is a hard place;
days when love is joy,
days when love is sacrifice.

Moments when lives knit together
in another womb
with God as surrogate mother,
fortified.
Joined in this secret place
under the lone eyes of God,
woven together.
We grow from supple sapling
bowing before the wind
to the strong-trunked tree
with roots beyond viewing.
Changing colour,
occasionally dropping leaves,
withstanding winters
and basking in summer sun.

Forty years is not a long time
for these are
together years.


Psalm 139  v13 -15  (NIV)
For you created my utmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth your eyes saw my unformed body.

2 comments:

Deidra said...

Breathtaking poetry here.
So very beautiful.

Yes, love is sometimes a rock and sometimes a hard place. Loving is both gift and struggle wrapped tightly together and - before you know it - ten, or twenty four, or forty years have passed and forged and strengthened.

Ray Colon said...

Hi Keith,

I enjoyed this poem, especially your use of forty in the first stanza. The "proves a King" line was terrific.

I hope that you and your bride shared a wonderful anniversary celebration. Forty years together is quite a milestone.

Ray