Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The car



The photo is not a memory.
The bright and shiny car
isn’t lodged in my filing system
of yesterdays.
The car is in there
filed under hours of fun -
 rusty and clanking
along summer pavements.
Rubber tyres long worn
beyond their usefulness
rims scourging the pathways,
the pedals stiff
with age and autumns.

I do not remember it new,
I cannot remember its advent
or the joy of its unpacking.
A Christmas or birthday gift
that became a marriage,
not an affair
like so many gifts of youth
which fleet in the carefree
selfishness of childhood.

I remember the name I gave it
Bluebird the 2nd,
though speed
was never its specialty,
and painting 22
on its side.
Its rusting maroon
and curving body
mirroring Dad’s
redundant green Vauxhall
in repose on the lawn.

No comments: